Concealed spaces

General discussion area relating to building and construction codes. To post a topic for discussion you must register. Everyone is welcome to register. Registration is necessary to fight off spam. Under no circumstance is any part of this forum to be used for advertising or spam purposes. Welcome to our Minnesota community forum!

Concealed spaces

Postby Armand » Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:28 pm

What is a concealed space?

There is no definition in the IBC.

In the dictionary conceal means "out of sight."

In the mechanical code the definition of concealed location states that "spaces above, below, or behind readily removeable panels or doors shall not be considered as concealed."

So, is the space above a suspended ceiling considered concealed space according to the IBC??

Please give me your opinion,

Thanks,
Armand

Postby Jeff Pleski » Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:29 pm

Your question: is the space above a suspended ceiling considered concealed space? I don't know about the IBC that you reference but for the mechanical code's definition Yes, for the dictionary's definition No.----my opinion.
Jeff Pleski

RE: concealed space

Postby Armand » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:00 pm

Jeff,

Don't you mean just the opposite of what you wrote??

The mechanical code says it's NOT concealed if the panels are removeable which a suspended grid type ceiling would have........
look in the 2000 international mechanical code under the definition
of "concelaed locations".

The dictionary defines concealed as out of site.

There appears to be more than just me confused over this one....
Armand

Postby Jeff Pleski » Thu Dec 20, 2007 1:19 pm

Armand,
Yes, I did mean just the opposite of what I said. Thank you for catching that. I wonder how many other people will read that and think I am an idiot before reading this. Thanks again.
Jeff Pleski

Return to 10K Forum