Egress Window Direction of Swing

General discussion area relating to building and construction codes. To post a topic for discussion you must register. Everyone is welcome to register. Registration is necessary to fight off spam. Under no circumstance is any part of this forum to be used for advertising or spam purposes. Welcome to our Minnesota community forum!

Egress Window Direction of Swing

Postby daz » Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:13 am

IRC R310.1

Can a single family home bedroom egress window swing inward?
daz

Re: Egress Window Direction of Swing

Postby David Swan » Thu Sep 05, 2019 7:42 am

It can. The codes have never stipulated the direction of the swing. I guess the windows swing outward to address intrusion of water - they are stepped downward and outward to allow water to flow away from the opening into the interior. Also, swinging outward can improve ventilation by "scooping" air into the room.
When it comes to emergency rescue it matters not - the window is blown out, not cranked open.
Good question though, just one of those things like "we have been doing it this way forever" because it works.
DSwan
David Swan

Re: Egress Window Direction of Swing

Postby daz » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:25 am

Thanks for the reply Dave! I agree with your thoughts.

I have talked with some inspectors who think these windows must swing outward. R310 states "Emergency escape and rescue openings shall open directly into a public way, or to a yard...". I don't believe the word "into" is intended to imply a direction of swing requirement.
daz

Return to 10K Forum