Uniformity Request

Message from the new Uniformity Co-Chair Presidents.

Uniformity Request

Postby forumadmin » Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:40 pm

Greetings from Gerry Proulx, CBO and Geven Rabe, CBO the new co-chairs of the AMBO sponsored Uniformity of Inspections Committee and we are asking for your help.
For some of you, it’s been a long time since you have been able to attend one of our monthly meetings while some others may be regular attendees. Most of you we hope have at one time or another been able to contribute to the function of this committee in one form or another by entering comments on the 10K Website forum, voting on questions on the monthly Uniformity Voting Booth, or may have even suggested a topic or entered a question for the committee to address.
The committee has taken note that the number of votes being cast on these monthly questions has dwindled to only a handful. The comments entered 10k forums seem to be made by the same group of individuals. And the attendance at the monthly meetings has dropped to a small group of regulars.
It has always been a fact of this committee’s existence that we are the only non-code change committee even though we address code questions in all aspects of our jobs. And, at one time DOLI would address questions raised by this committee and in some cases issue a department interpretation. However, this no longer seems to be the case.
We have also forwarded our research on these questions to the different code change committees for them to consider but have not seen much response.
While these points seem to indicate the evolving irrelevance of this committee we ask you, should this committee continue to pursue code discussions or not?
We welcome your input as to what we should do, how to accomplish those goals and where we should be more active.
We welcome your response. We need your help.
Along with your receiving this e-mail the question will be posted on the 10K forum.
The results will be complied in September and the appropriate action will be determined at that time.
We look forward to hearing from you all.

Thank you
forumadmin
Site Admin

Re: Uniformity Request

Postby mikeselon » Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:28 pm

I think that it is sad that there is seemingly so little interest in having a converation about enfocing the code in a uniform and hopefully logical way. After almost 20 years of being a building inspector and plan reviewer I long ago became tired of hearing from builders that "every city does it differently".
I think it is easier for cities to just enforce the code as they see fit than to question whether their own interpretations really make sense and are shared by the majority of jurisdictions. Uniformity must be very difficult to attain as I see that in our own city the various inspectors often don't agree on how to enforce the code. I don't know what it will take to increase participation in the efforts of this committee to share and ask for input. Sometimes when I am reading the questions I lament that they are not well thought out and presented in a way to provide a clear choice for the repondents to make. Yes or No cannot be the answer to a convoluted question.
Please don't give up the effort to increase uniformity - hopefully this attempt for input will make a difference in the future.
mikeselon

Return to July 2013