Window and door installations and flashing

Voting section relating to Minnesota Building Codes.

See questions below

Poll ended at Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:12 pm

Are these code sections in conflict? YES
7%
Are these code sections in conflict? NO
43%
Does R703.8#1 require a drip flashing be installed on all windows and doors regardless of the door or window manufacturer’s installation instructions? YES
14%
Does R703.8#1 require a drip flashing be installed on all windows and doors regardless of the door or window manufacturer’s installation instructions? NO
36%

Total votes : 28

Window and door installations and flashing

Postby forumadmin » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:20 pm

R613.1 states in part: “Windows and doors shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions. Installation instructions shall be provided by the manufacturer for each exterior window or door type.”
R703.8#1 states: “Exterior window and door openings. Flashing at exterior window and door openings shall extend to the surface of the exterior wall finish or to the water-resistive barrier for subsequent drainage.”
R703.11.1 states: “Installation. Vinyl siding, soffit and accessories shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions.”

Are these code sections in conflict?

Does R703.8#1 require a drip flashing be installed on all windows and doors regardless of the door or window manufacturer’s installation instructions?
forumadmin
Site Admin

Re: Window and door installations and flashing

Postby Patrick Parsley » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:01 pm

yes, they could be in conflict. It would be prudent to assess the intent of the flashing and determine if the window instructions provide an equal alternate. If so-consider it complying.

If the window instructions are silent on the flashing, then it would be prudent to require the code prescribed flashing.
Patrick Parsley

Postby Paul Heimkes » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:22 pm

I know the questions is in reference the "IRC'" but if you look to the IBC in sections 1405, along with 1403 and 1404, I think you'll get a better idea of what the IRC should say and/or have you looking for at exterior walls, wall openings, finish material projecting edges, windows and doors and other openings, dissimilar material joints, etc.
The IRC simply drops the ball here. It also does not specifically cover kick-out flashing (thus the state amendment. Also note that the IBC does not have this amendment. That is because it's language is much more thorough in covering the subject matter, so it is not necessary).
I believe the (IRC) general intent of the language is to get separate flashing to assure that moisture intrusion is removed from behind the wall finish system at exterior wall openings like windows, doors, vents, dissimilar material joints, etc. The only way this can be done is with another piece of separate flashing.
For discussion sake, I would also like to point out that historically, there was a problem with people thinking that window nailing flanges "were" flashing. This is not the case - unless the window manufacturer specifically identifies their system as such. If they dont, I believe the IRC requires an additional piece of flashing over the opening to redirect moisture out over the exterior opeing.
Paul Heimkes

Postby mkaehler » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:56 pm

In Ramsey........................... I use whatever means I can to get drip cap installed over every opening. I also make them seal those openings with something better than seam (red stuff) tape.
I require a window installation inspection when they are installing the first unit so I can see how they are installing the windows and/or doors.
FYI: the installers don't read the installation instructions :)
mkaehler

Postby Steve Nelson » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:47 pm

In conflict? No. They all say something different. Install windows per mftr installation instructions. They all have them and they should all be with the windows (mine are). Install vinyl siding per mftr. They are looking at the installation of THEIR product, not the window. When in doubt, go back to the code.
Steve Nelson

Return to August 2011