Minnesota Plumbing Code 4715

Voting section relating to Minnesota Building Codes.

Is a permit required for:

Poll ended at Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:55 pm

Removal / replacement of a kitchen faucet? YES
20%
Removal / replacement of a kitchen faucet? NO
14%
Replacement of a kitchen sink? YES
22%
Replacement of a kitchen sink? NO
12%
Installation of a garbage disposer? YES
20%
Installation of a garbage disposer? NO
14%

Total votes : 51

Minnesota Plumbing Code 4715

Postby forumadmin » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:51 pm

The current Minnesota Plumbing Code 4715 does not specifically exempt any work from a required permit.

Is a permit required for:
Removal / replacement of a kitchen faucet? YES / NO
Replacement of a kitchen sink? YES / NO
Installation of a garbage disposer? YES / NO
forumadmin
Site Admin

Re: Minnesota Plumbing Code 4715

Postby Armand » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:05 am

DLI staff has said that replacing faucets and sinks requires permits, I don't remember what was said about garbage disposers.

I do know that all three procedures require a MN licenced plumber to do the work except that the homeowner can do the work if he actually owns and occupies that dwelling.

Getting people to apply for a permit for this work is another story........I would venture to guess that many jurisdictions including where I am do not require permits for this. Do the words politically unpopular come to mind? Pick your battles gentlepeople.
Armand

Postby codetalker » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:01 am

MN rules do not exempt the requirements for permits for this type of incidental work. I don't know if it's prudent to not require a permit for this work. If someone were to call my ofice and ask If they needed a permit to install a new toilet, I would say yes and give them the procedure to get a permit. Would I pursue this? Probably not. As Armand said is this a battle I choose to fight? Even though this seems to be an effort in redundancy, we don't have the authority to circumvent the requirement for a permit if MN rules say we do.
Am I going to spend a lot of energy enforcing this questionable requirement?
I don"t think so.....
codetalker

Postby Armand » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:11 am

I believe we are in agreement Codetalker,

Regarding the subject of openly not requiring permits for some things that can be viewed as minor,
I've noticed in my search for handouts to glean information from, that some jurisdcitions openly state on their websites that permits for window replacements are not required and I've not heard nor seen any repercussions from the State on that. This makes me think that the faucets and toilets permits issue will be overlooked by State jurisdiction review people too. Albeit I'm sure mention will be made.
Armand

Return to July 2011