Windows near garage door openings

Voting section relating to Minnesota Building Codes.

Is safety glazing required?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:15 am

Yes
26%
No
74%

Total votes : 19

Windows near garage door openings

Postby forumadmin » Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:42 pm

A window is within 24 inches of a garage door opening.

forumadmin
Site Admin

Re: Windows near garage door openings

Postby Patrick Parsley » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:14 am

The letter of the code would seem to indicate that safety glaziing would be required in this location. The original intent for this section had to do with people mistaking the window for the door and walking into the adjacent glass. The additional benefit seen from this code change is that doors are generally in a high traffic locations so protecting the window makes sense even though it will not be mistaken for the door.
In short, this window would not be mistaken for the door and the traffic through the garage door is usually via a vehicle. I would say nothing is gained by requiring safety glazing. This may not hold true for a garage where the only exit is through the overhead door.
Patrick Parsley

Postby RDavidson » Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:32 pm

"Garage door opening"? Trick question? Are we talking an opening in a garage without a door? Are we talking a swinging "man" door. Or are we talking an overhead, sliding, or swinging vehicle access door? I would apply the rule to a door intended for use by a person but not a vehicle. I'm not as smart at the people in Fairmont so I am more likely to mistake a window for a door and try to walk thru it.
RDavidson

Postby Patrick Parsley » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:26 am

Since I try to believe the best in people, I assumed that this was a legitimate question and not a trick.
Out here in the hinter land a building with out a door in the opening is called a cow barn so I figured the question was referring to the vehicle access door-which may also serve as the exit. What would you do in that instance?
As for your intelligence comment-no comment. :)
Patrick Parsley

Postby Chuck Tatro » Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:31 pm

Garage door and overhead garage door terms are generally used to designate one and the same. Assuming the question is asking about an vehicle garage door, it is my opinion that a window on a side wall would not require safety glazing.
Chuck Tatro

Postby JG MCP » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:28 am

forumadmin wrote:A window is within 24 inches of a garage door opening.

Yes, safety glazing is required--UNLESS is meets an exception. Note that the arc of the door in a closed position as outlined in R308.4(6) is going to be different than a swing door resulting in an answer that may allow the window to be out of a hazardous location. Think of where the door arc is.
JG MCP

Postby lundy » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:24 am

I would have to disagree with JG MCP if in fact we are talking about a vehicle access door and agree with the others. You would gain nothing by requiring safety glazing in this location except maybe making it a little less dangerous to pick up when your child smashes the car into it while attempting to park for the first time.
lundy

Return to June 2010 Questions