BBQ grill installed beloew a living space

Voting section related to Minnesota building codes.

Can you install a BBQ grill under a livable area?

Poll ended at Sun Aug 31, 2008 2:58 pm

Yes
53%
No
12%
Depends on clearance to the livable area above
35%

Total votes : 17

BBQ grill installed beloew a living space

Postby forumadmin » Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:50 am

Is it allowed (by code) to install a built in (permanent or semi-permanently) covered BBQ (gas, coal or electric) beneath a post and beam supported living space which is open on three sides?
forumadmin
Site Admin

Re: BBQ grill installed beloew a living space

Postby Paul H. » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:30 am

Is this an interior space in a dwelling - or is it unconditioned and open to the exterior? I'm kind-of confused about the use description. Is this an outdoor covered picnic shelter or something else? Not that it matters much, but if the equipment is tested/listed for this particular installation (per IMC 917 and MSBC 1346.0301.4), you can do it - per the listing of course. Exhaust, combustion air, MAU and/or space ventilation may also be issues to consider looking into too though..... More info please.
(Just make sure nobody is calling it a "heater" if it's open to the exterior !!)
Paul H.
Paul Heimkes
SE MN Regional Building Official
MN DLI-CCLD-BCSU
Paul H.

Postby RDavidson » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:09 am

Would we allow a gas range to be installed in this location? How about the Jenn-Air cook tops? I think the manufacturer of any appliance will have installation instructions and most, if not all, will require that those not intended for interior use have certain clearances and be well ventilated. Following are the instructions for installing one grill intended for permanent installation:
“Locate the grill only in a well-ventilated area. Never locate the grill in a building, garage, shed or other such fully enclosed areas. During heavy use, the grill will produce a lot of smoke. Ensure there is adequate area for it to dissipate.”

I think it will fall on the AHJ to determine if those instructions are met. Personally I don’t understand why anyone would want all the grease from cooking coating the under floor area of their porch or other living space. You want it to rise into the air where it will settle on your neighbors house.
RDavidson

Postby forumadmin » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:55 pm

I believe this is geared more to installing under a full season porch addition scenario? How close is too close from the grill to the addition? Are there concerns over gasses and smoke entering the addition above??? You would not allow a high efficiency furnace to vent out below a livable area? Or would you? The concern is CO and possible moisture entering the addition, right?
forumadmin
Site Admin

Postby Steve Nelson » Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:50 am

How close is too close up, down or sideways? Anyone ever see the vinyl siding melt from the side of the house? Common sense of the user is imperative here. Along with their ability to read the user's manual.
Steve Nelson

Postby Greg Johnson » Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:38 pm

Perhaps I'm splitting hairs, but the question, "Can you install a BBQ grill under a livable area?" seems too vaguely framed for the purposes of the forum.

I guess we're to assume that the intent of the question is, "Does the code permit you to install a (solid fuel, propane, natural gas, electric?) grill within X (feet, inches?), of the underside of a habitable space(Use group, type of construction?)?

If I answer the question as posed I would have to say "maybe". If given more information I could give a more definitive answer. Maybe.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Greg Johnson

Return to August 2008 Questions