Stucco Question

General discussion area relating to building and construction codes. To post a topic for discussion you must register. Everyone is welcome to register. Registration is necessary to fight off spam. Under no circumstance is any part of this forum to be used for advertising or spam purposes. Welcome to our Minnesota community forum!

Stucco Question

Postby Rick Breezee » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:02 am

When retofitting an existing home, that has a stucco exterior, with new windows, is anybody requiring that the opening be completely flashed the same way it is done in new construction?
I have reviewed the publication from the MN. Lath and Plaster Bureau regarding Stucco in Residential Construction and in it there is a reference to sec.R703.8 Flashing and they show very detailed requirements for flashing around the entire opening. I certainly understand this type of detail for new construction but are these same details being enforced on :?: window and door replacements? Does water know the difference between new and existing?
Thanks
Rick Breezee

Flashing New windows in existing stucco

Postby Larry Pepin from CH » Wed Mar 08, 2006 5:31 pm

Most window retrofits are placed inside the existing window frame and do not touch the existing brick mold or flashing. Under this type of installation I would not require flashing. However if they are removing the windows completely and installing new windows then flashing in accordance with the IRC would be required. 8)
Larry Pepin from CH

Postby Steve N » Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:01 pm

I'm suprised anyone responded to a stucco question. Way to go Larry.

Almost if not completely impossible to flash per lath and plaster specs unless a lot of stucco is going to be removed. What I have seen and allowed is caulking that flange ( I have seen this as a window detail in the installation instructions for some windows), then using the sealing tape over the flange and paper as best as possible. My take on this is if the water instrusion was bad enough, the stucco would probably have been replaced. Therefore, get it sealed up as good or better than it was.

My 40% of a nickel.
Steve N

Postby Dale G. » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:47 am

I agree with the last two gentlemen. Existing stucco would be almost impossible to duplicate requirements for new. Best case would be to retro-fit into existing openings. I would ask for a detail of flashing and wrap if not installed within existing opening.
Dale G.

Stucco queston

Postby Clark Kube » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:12 am

I recieved a call from a contractor who said he was bidding a stucco repair job for an apartment building to repair water damage due to leaks around the windows.

His question was "would I approve removal of six inches of stucco around the top and sides of the window and thee feet under the window"? He would then paper, lathe, and stucco to code.

My question to him was how do you seal around the new cut out areas?
How to lap weather barrier cut? I suggested he have an engineer design a system.

What is the possibilty that there might still be water intrusion after the "patch"?

What do you all think?
Clark Kube

Postby john edberg » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:15 pm

Clark, personally, I think if you can get them to remove that amount of stucco around the openings, flash them properly, and restucco per the codes I wouldn't worry about the adjoining stucco. I think most cities would allow them to replace the openings without flashing per code for retrofits. As far as requiring engineering, I think you would be just costing them money for no better repair than you could determine to be acceptable yourself. My thoughts.
john edberg

Postby Jeff Pleski » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:03 pm

Personally I have very little experience with this one but from what I do know, John Edberg's comments make the most sense to me.
Jeff Pleski

Return to 10K Forum