Guards on Roofs for Cellular Equipment

General discussion area relating to building and construction codes. To post a topic for discussion you must register. Everyone is welcome to register. Registration is necessary to fight off spam. Under no circumstance is any part of this forum to be used for advertising or spam purposes. Welcome to our Minnesota community forum!

Guards on Roofs for Cellular Equipment

Postby daz » Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:38 pm

Would a guard be required where cellular equipment (needing periodic service) is within 10 feet of a roof edge? Because cellular equipment is not "mechanical equipment" 1013.6 does not specifically address it. 1013.2 might be enforceable if the area around the cellular equipment is deemed a "walking surface". Any thoughts?
daz

Re: Guards on Roofs for Cellular Equipment

Postby Paul Heimkes » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:28 am

2015 MSBC/IBC section 1013.6 Mechanical equipment.
Guards shall be provided where appliances, equipment, fans, roof hatch openings or other components that require service are located within 10 feet (3048 mm) of a roof edge or open side of a walking surface and such edge or open side is located more than 30 inches (762 mm) above the floor, roof or grade below. The guard shall be constructed so as to prevent the passage of a sphere 21 inches (533 mm) in diameter. The guard shall extend not less than 30 inches (762 mm) beyond each end of such appliance, equipment, fan or component.

I believe you can use IBC 1013.6 to require a guard for safety protection in the location/condition you describe. Although the title of the section is "Mechanical Equipment," the wording within the requirement itself is written to include other conditions and/or equipment placed within 10-feet.... posing a safety issue for persons that must service the equipment. I know I would use this section for this type of installation - without a doubt.

Paul Heimkes
Paul Heimkes

Return to 10K Forum