Need some advice

General discussion area relating to building and construction codes. To post a topic for discussion you must register. Everyone is welcome to register. Registration is necessary to fight off spam. Under no circumstance is any part of this forum to be used for advertising or spam purposes. Welcome to our Minnesota community forum!

Need some advice

Postby RyanSmith » Sun May 31, 2015 9:16 pm

My name is Ryan Smith. I graduated from North Hennepin community college in 2013 with a degree in building inspection technology. I am certified as a building official. Over the last 2 years I have applied for every single code enforcement position in every corner of the state and as a result I have only landed 4 interviews. Most often I am told that I am not being considered due to my lack of experience in code enforcement. I can understand that, however, how do I get experience is nobody is willing to give it? I have been networking like crazy, I have obtained letters of recommendation from all kinds of people including a former senator, and still this has been an extremely difficult process. I have offered to volunteer and take unpaid internships with little success.

I have come here to seek advice from those of you whom are currently working for a municipality in code enforcement and to see if there is some chance one of you would be open to a job shadow, paid or unpaid internship, or volunteer opportunity that I could add to my resume.

Thanks for your time.
RyanSmith

Re: Need some advice

Postby FW. » Thu Jun 11, 2015 8:24 am

Ryan, Do you have any construction experience? That may be the reason you're not getting many interviews. Also with the downturn in the economy a lot of departments had to let people go, I lost my inspector in 2010 and I might be able to get a replacement this year.
FW.

Return to 10K Forum