Question of the Day - #115 Larry’s favorite!

General discussion area relating to building and construction codes. To post a topic for discussion you must register. Everyone is welcome to register. Registration is necessary to fight off spam. Under no circumstance is any part of this forum to be used for advertising or spam purposes. Welcome to our Minnesota community forum!

Question of the Day - #115 Larry’s favorite!

Postby RDavidson » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:24 am

We need to go back to Larry’s favorite topic and that is basement wall insulation. Minnesota Residential Energy Code section R402.2.8, last sentence, reads: Walls associated with unconditioned basements shall meet the requirements of this section unless the floor overhead is insulated in accordance with Section R402.1.1 and R402.1.7 and the following requirements… I think what this says is that basement walls for unconditioned basements must be insulated just like a conditioned basement, but not like an unconditioned crawl space. But, if the floor above the unconditioned basement is insulated, then I must insulate the basement walls in accordance with one of two sets of directions. If my floor is insulated, why would I need to insulate the basement walls of an unconditioned basement? If this part of the home were supported by wood columns, I wouldn’t have to insulate the columns?
RDavidson

Return to 10K Forum