Question of the Day - #113 Is it a basement or not?

General discussion area relating to building and construction codes. To post a topic for discussion you must register. Everyone is welcome to register. Registration is necessary to fight off spam. Under no circumstance is any part of this forum to be used for advertising or spam purposes. Welcome to our Minnesota community forum!

Question of the Day - #113 Is it a basement or not?

Postby RDavidson » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:51 am

Minnesota Residential Energy Code Definitions: Basement Wall. A wall 50 percent or more below grade and enclosing conditioned space.

R402.1.8. Basement walls. Walls associated with conditioned basements shall be insulated from the top of the basement wall down to 10 feet below grade or to the top of the footing, whichever is less. Foundation insulation shall be installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s installation instructions. Walls associated with unconditioned basements shall meet the requirements of this section unless the floor overhead is insulated in accordance with Section R402.1.1 and R402.1.7 and the following requirements:

Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa! By definition a basement wall encloses conditioned space. R402.1.8, which is titled “Basement walls”, provides rules for walls associated with “unconditioned basements”. Is there a disconnect or tracking problem here?

If I read the definition of basement walls and was wondering where I would find the rules for unconditioned basements, would I look in the section on “basement walls” knowing what the definition says?
RDavidson

Return to 10K Forum