Question of the Day - #107 Bedrooms don’t matter?

General discussion area relating to building and construction codes. To post a topic for discussion you must register. Everyone is welcome to register. Registration is necessary to fight off spam. Under no circumstance is any part of this forum to be used for advertising or spam purposes. Welcome to our Minnesota community forum!

Question of the Day - #107 Bedrooms don’t matter?

Postby RDavidson » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:16 am

I have a house built in 2015. The basement is unfinished. I want to finish the basement. I’m wondering about energy code and ventilation requirements. 1322.0100, subpart 3, addresses additions, alterations, and repairs to existing buildings, building systems, or portions of buildings. I don’t see any exceptions to the ventilation requirements. I am adding two bedrooms in this basement. I am looking at the mechanical ventilation requirements in Energy Code section R403.5 to determine the amount of ventilation I need based on the number of bedrooms. But then I come to R403.5.1 that says alterations are exempt from complying with this section? So I don’t have to be concerned about ventilation. But if I had finished the space when the home was built I would have needed to account for them. Is that strange or what?

But, what if I construct an addition to the same house and add two bedrooms? Now I have to expand my mechanical system in order to accommodate the bedrooms. Is that strange or what?
RDavidson

Return to 10K Forum