SF 1700 Plumbing board reform bill

General discussion area relating to building and construction codes. To post a topic for discussion you must register. Everyone is welcome to register. Registration is necessary to fight off spam. Under no circumstance is any part of this forum to be used for advertising or spam purposes. Welcome to our Minnesota community forum!

SF 1700 Plumbing board reform bill

Postby Greg Johnson » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:31 am

The bill to reform the state plumbing board was introduced in the MN Senate yesterday and referred to the Senate Jobs committee. The text of the bill is at:

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bin/bldbill. ... ssion=ls87

If you want to make a phone call or send an e-mail in support of the bill you can find links to the committee members' contact info at:

http://www.senate.leg.state.mn.us/commi ... d=3051&ls=

Why is the bill necessary? Because:

The plumbing board is controlled by the plumbing industry and not accountable to anyone. No one can overturn a decision of the board except through the court system. It can decide to apply needless requirements for additional plumbing to every building under construction in the state, essentially taxing those projects to subsidize the plumbing industry.

The structure and authority of the state plumbing board means that the people who sell the product can tell you what kind, how much, and from whom you must buy the product. This can only drive up the cost of construction and the price of buildings which stifles economic development and costs jobs and hurts our communities.

SF 1700 transfers the authority for the adoption, amendment, and interpretation of the state plumbing code from the plumbing board to the commissioner of the Department of Labor & Industry and further directs the commissioner to adopt a plumbing code that is consistent with the other model codes adopted in MN and one that is written in terms of performance versus prescriptively. This is consistent with existing statutory language.

If anyone wants a copy of the transcript of the April 19th plumbing board meeting and the abuse of power that prompted the legislation please let me know. My e-mail address is below.You can see for yourself that the plumbing board is about the industry and not about the public.

Greg

gjohnsonconsulting@gmail.com
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Greg Johnson

Re: SF 1700 Plumbing board reform bill

Postby Johnstop » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:21 pm

1.The plumbing board is controlled by the plumbing industry and not accountable to anyone.
I was under the assumption that the Minnesota Plumbing Board is part of the Department of Labor and follows similar avenues of appeals as are spelled out in the ICC.

2. No one can overturn a decision of the board except through the court system.
I would hope there would be a better solution but if the legal system is the only recourse, then it is final. This would probably happen eventually with any ICC code complaint to an appeals board.

Our codes have some definite drawbacks especially 106.1. You probably won’t believe this but I had a building official require an Architect prepare the drawings for a townhouse. I thought that the codes were supposed to make the playing grounds equal for all and to keep the cost of construction affordable.
I would think it would be a step in the right direction to adopt a nationally recognized plumbing code but I wouldn’t hold my breath.
Johnstop

Return to 10K Forum