2012 I-Codes - MN State Code Adoption

General discussion area relating to building and construction codes. To post a topic for discussion you must register. Everyone is welcome to register. Registration is necessary to fight off spam. Under no circumstance is any part of this forum to be used for advertising or spam purposes. Welcome to our Minnesota community forum!

2012 I-Codes - MN State Code Adoption

Postby Paul Heimkes » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:24 pm

FYI - The process for updating and adopting a new MSBC has now started at the DLI-CCLD. The intent is to adopt the 2012 I-Codes (IBC, IRC, IMC, IFGC, IEBC, IEC with state amendments) and update the MN Accessibility and Elevator Safety Codes.

Now is the time for you to make your concerns known on code language you have issues with. You can track the complete code change process for each Rule part on the DLI-CCLD website. Contact information for persons responsible is also listed there. Through this process you have an abiltiy to attend advisory committee meetings, you can e-mail in proposed code changes, and you can even get on certain Rule Committee e-mail distribution lists (to receive regular updates, agenda's, meeting overviews, and other good info). The choice for involvement in the process is yours. You can be heard - if you speak.

My only reason for posting this is so that people using this site find and know what's going on with this. Don't burry your head in the sand if you have a concern. The legal process has started and there are many ways for you to be heard and/or be active in the change. Ultimately, the idea is to have a better more modern state code; one that represents the ever-changing business of building materials, design, and construction and the life-safety concerns as recognized nationally by today's society. (See MN Statutes 326B.101.)

With this, I would ask that 1) ...you don't shoot the messenger, and 2) please pass this information around to your peers. The process will move somewhat fast over the next few months. By next Spring changes will be formalized. ...Now is your opportunity!
Paul Heimkes

Return to 10K Forum