Table R301.5 Guardrails

General discussion area relating to building and construction codes. To post a topic for discussion you must register. Everyone is welcome to register. Registration is necessary to fight off spam. Under no circumstance is any part of this forum to be used for advertising or spam purposes. Welcome to our Minnesota community forum!

Table R301.5 Guardrails

Postby mkaehler » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:24 pm

I know you need to meet the 200 live load requirement on deck railing ( It's in the book somewhere!!)
Does anyone have a method they feel good about, that they use to check some of these conditions?

I've seen some railings that seem marginal during the final, but after a few months of people grabing the railings and jerking back and forth on them to see if they are solid, I assume, they become a tad shakey.

It would be nice if we had a way to check them, other than "grabing the railings and jerking back and forth" at the final and log that process into the record.

Just wonderin'
mkaehler

Re: Table R301.5 Guardrails

Postby SErickson » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:10 pm

SErickson

Postby the man » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:52 am

The 200 pound per square foot requirement is in Table R301.5.
And as you look at it you will notice that the loading is ONLY for loading along the top of the Guardrail and Handrail.
The infill components only need to meet a 50 pound per square foot.
I don't know that we need to check them as it is the designers responsabilty to disign to meet the code requirements and the builder to follow the design I allways pushed them with my hip as I am wrighting up other issues withe deck and because I am a little over weight if I don't fall off then it must be good. Right. :lol:
the man

Postby squalle » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:07 am

Unfortunately, I think we all struggle with this issue. It is a bit more "I know it when I see it" than a measurable science. I did some research with Peter K. before he left the State regarding this issue, and the conclusion that we came to was that a guard is a structural member. As such, it is required to meet the deflection requirements of Table R301.7 for "all other structural members". So, on a 10 foot long section or guard rail, the member should not deflect more than 1/2" (120" (10 ft) / 240 = 1/2") when subjected to the 200 pound force in any direction. So, in addition to the ability to resist the 200 pound force, it must not deflect more than L/240 as well. This is a little more objective that the wiggle or hip test that we all use. It also gives you something more specific to cite when you write up the deficiency.
squalle

Return to 10K Forum