1323 Energy Code - Acceptance Testing?

General discussion area relating to building and construction codes. To post a topic for discussion you must register. Everyone is welcome to register. Registration is necessary to fight off spam. Under no circumstance is any part of this forum to be used for advertising or spam purposes. Welcome to our Minnesota community forum!

1323 Energy Code - Acceptance Testing?

Postby Paul Heimkes » Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:30 am

Is anyone willing to share what they are doing/requiring for acceptance testing and associated documentation per MN Rule 1323.0627, Subpart 3?
....Specifically, documentation. What are you seeing/getting for verification of this requirement?
Due to the many types of submittals we have seen so far, we are thinking of developing some type of form to have them (the mechanical and/or electrical engineer of record) complete and sign-off on for every project - to simplify/reduce documentation and to assure that we get a "sign-off" in reference to the correct code language/requirements for the provision.
Any thoughts/comments?
Paul Heimkes

Re: 1323 Energy Code - Acceptance Testing?

Postby Paul Heimkes » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:13 am

Sorry,... The correct code section is 1323.0672, Subpart 3.
Paul Heimkes

Postby johnedberg » Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:55 pm

Paul,
I just finaled off Hazeltine Natl. Golf Club's new club house. I'm not sure I received everything required, but your "final" check list you have out is very helpful. We gave a packet of forms to the general contractor and told him this is a list of items we need to final out the building. He actually went to work at their weekly sub meeting to give everyone the list of their responsibilities for city submittals and put the presure on him to make sure these items were submitted or no C.O. We also went out to a "hospital" under construction and gave that supt. a packet of the forms so they can start putting them togeter.I think one catch all form packet would be great. To be honest, I'm not sure this is all that was required, but did our best. Thanks.

1. Compliance letter from the Mechanical Engineer of Record.
2. Balance Report.
3. HVAC Mandatory Provisions Forms.
4. Service Water Heater Compliance Documentation.
5.Lighting Compliance Documentation.
6.Building Envelope Compliance Documentation.

John Edberg/Chaska
johnedberg

Postby David Swan » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:35 pm

The link to ASHRAE is on the State DOLI website, but it is not easy to find. If you copy down this link, or bookmark the site in your Favorites file it will easy to locate later.
http://www.ashrae.org/technology/page/97

This is ASHRAE's page of all the compliance forms we need for compliance to 1323. It's easy enough for you and me to provide these documents to the designers, then we have to review them to the code. Nick Carver feels the only way we can verify they will do what the code requires is to have these documents in our hands BEFORE issuance of permits.

Recently, a project design team only slightly balked but effectively provided the information in a reasonalble amount of time.
DSwan
David Swan

Postby Paul Heimkes » Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:44 am

Personal opinion: All the compliance forms from ASHRAE "don't mean diddly." Yeah,... they are design performance standards, or "obligations" for certain buildings/designs, but they really prove nothing and really mean nothing. Ultimately, it is the acceptance testing (or commissioning) that separates fact from fiction. Without the final HVAC balancing report, without the final start-up reports from mechanical equipment, without the final acceptance testing report, we will never be able to verify if all these in-depth energy code requirements actually work as required by the code. Yes,... the equipment may be there, and yes,... you can see it and verify that it was installed properly; however,... you absolutely cannot verify that it works as required without testing the buildings' entire system (mechanical, electrical and all controlling equipment). That, I believe, is why the new acceptance testing criteria is absolutely necessary - and long overdue. As a matter of fact, I don't think it goes far enough (yet), but at least its a start.
We/I am going to develop a simple one-page "final acceptance testing" form that we/I am going to require for every project. After I use it and get all the bugs worked out, I'll share it with anyone who would like it. Getting project designers to "sign-off" on the final operation/function of all this equipment may help to assure that it does what it is supposed to do (as required by code - and their design) and as such,... provide us with some sort of evidence that the initial ASHRAE design/forms have actually become fact.
Paul Heimkes

Postby David Swan » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:49 am

I thoroughly agree these forms are worthless if there is no back-side verification. Although I did not mentioned it, it is a critical part of the final inspection and approval.

But I will tell everyone one thing - without the completed forms on the front side the owners, occupants, designers and contractors have more ability to alter/change/omit equipment (whether they deliberatly intend to or not) than they should have. The equipment is easily identified at rough-in inspection through the use of these forms to confirm they are the products specified. And or course, part of the final commissioning should be an accumulation of reports and tests.

I know ASHRAE's Standards have evolved quite a bit over the past years; adjusting from merely a standard to a document that stresses operation and maintenance of the equipment. All of the work we do throughout the project to verify and identify is what we do. How the equipment is used (or misused) or maintained is of concern, but not our responsibility.

Learning from and with our peers is too valuable not to be sharing our efforts. I for one, am very interested in the form you are developing.
DSwan
David Swan

Postby Armand » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:41 pm

Paul, when you get the single page format to a functional final working master, please send a copy to me, as you already know, I need all the help I can get down here. And thanks.
Armand

Return to 10K Forum