wind up smoke alarms

General discussion area relating to building and construction codes. To post a topic for discussion you must register. Everyone is welcome to register. Registration is necessary to fight off spam. Under no circumstance is any part of this forum to be used for advertising or spam purposes. Welcome to our Minnesota community forum!

wind up smoke alarms

Postby Armand » Mon May 10, 2010 4:58 pm

Have you seen these in your jurisdiction?
I am real hesitant to require a homeowner to install hardwired interconnected smoke alarms in their home when the code calls for them, if the home already has bunches of those very expensive wind up style smoke alarms. Unfortunately the code doesn't talk about them at all, and specifically doesn't include them as meeting the minimum requirement, where simple battery operated will.
How have you dealt with this issue??

Thanks,

Armand
Armand

Re: wind up smoke alarms

Postby FW » Tue May 11, 2010 9:05 am

It's a heat detector not a smoke detector. It has a fusible link that activates the alarm. Have them add the required smoke detectors.
FW

Re: wind up smoke alarms

Postby RDavidson » Tue May 18, 2010 1:54 pm

FW is right. It is a heat detector. Less than ethical sales people used to sell these to gullible Norwegians for hundreds of dollars a piece. I have one in my office that I got from a gullible Norwegian. It goes off whenever Mick Kaehler comes into my office. It has a nice sticker of approval from the Los Angeles Fire Department. Makes a nice fast paced ringing noise when set off.
RDavidson

Return to 10K Forum