Safety Glazing

General discussion area relating to building and construction codes. To post a topic for discussion you must register. Everyone is welcome to register. Registration is necessary to fight off spam. Under no circumstance is any part of this forum to be used for advertising or spam purposes. Welcome to our Minnesota community forum!

Safety Glazing

Postby JesseSki » Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:01 pm

If glazing is installed in a hazardous location as described in R308.4 and is a multiple pane assembly, would only the pane adjacent to the hazardous location need to be safety glazed or would all of the panes need to be safety glazed?
JesseSki

Re: Safety Glazing

Postby Jeff » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:42 am

If all the panes are in one assembly then I would treat that assembly as one pane.
In other words, treat the assembly as requiring the glazing to be tempered without regard to how many panes are in the assembly. I believe the intent would be to protect a person falling through the assembly. If only the first pane is tempered and not all of them, then you lost your protection when the assembly is compromised.
Jeff

Postby Paul Heimkes » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:57 pm

....What Jeff said.

PH
Paul Heimkes

Postby Peter » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:20 pm

The opinion that I offer is my own, and does not represent the official position of the ICC. Question: If glazing is installed in a hazardous location as described in IRC Section R308.4, and is a multiple-pane assembly, would only the pane in the hazardous location need to be safety glazing, or would all of the panes in the assembly need to be safety glazing? Only the pane in the hazardous location needs to be safety glazing. For example: A window unit with two panes of glass (fixed upper and lower) is installed above a bathtub. The bottom edge of the bottom pane of glass is located less than 60 inches above the standing surface inside of the bathtub. It is required to be safety glazing. Next, the bottom of the upper pane of glass is located more than 60 inches above the standing surface inside of the bathtub. It is not required to be safety glazing, even though it is part of a two-pane window unit. The charging language in R308.4 addresses the glazing in the unit, not the assembly. --- Peter Kulczyk
Peter

Postby Jeff » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:44 am

My understanding of the question was if the "bottom" pane, as Peter mentions, is a double or triple pane unit that is in the hazardous location per definition, than all two or three panes need to be tempered or safety glazing. This is not addressing the pane out of the hazardous area, but rather addressing the assembly that has multiple panes within the hazardous area, such as a double pane window. Another words the bottom panes (double pane window for instance) within that 60" hazardous area above the tub would all have to be safety glazing. You could not have the interior pane safety glazed and the exterior pane not. Believe me, window companies are trying to do this to cheapen the price of the window units. Does this make sense. Just addressing the part of the assembly within the hazardous area with multiple panes.
Jeff

Return to 10K Forum