Attic Access

General discussion area relating to building and construction codes. To post a topic for discussion you must register. Everyone is welcome to register. Registration is necessary to fight off spam. Under no circumstance is any part of this forum to be used for advertising or spam purposes. Welcome to our Minnesota community forum!

Attic Access

Postby C.Block » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:40 pm

R807.1 Attic Access. Buildings with combustible ceiling or roof construction shall have an attic access opening to attic areas that exceed 30 square feet and have a vertical height of 30 or more.

The rough-framed opening shall not be less than 22 inches by 30 inches and shall be located in a hallway or readily accessible location. A 30 inch minimum unobstructed headroom in the attic space shall be provided at some point above the access opening. See sec. M1305.1.3 for access requirements where mechanical equipment is located in attics.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have been told that I am the only one that enforces R807 Attic Access. Am I?

What locations if any are acceptable to you?

Does it need to be in the hallway?

Is a bedroom ok?

Is a walk-in closet ok?

Is any closet ok?
C.Block

Re: Attic Access

Postby Jerry Frevel » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:16 pm

R807 is enforced in my municipality. We allow the access to be located in a hallway, bedroom, or walk-in closet. We do not allow it in smaller closets. Hope that helps.
Jerry Frevel
Building Inspector
City of Golden Valley
Jerry Frevel

Postby David Swan » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:55 pm

Maplewood also enforces this code section. In fact, we have one of those 22 inch by 30 inch spheres to verify the opening has the appropriate clearance.
DSwan
David Swan

Postby C.Block » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:47 am

Of course I'm not the only one. I knew that.

I was, and still am, interested in hearing what everyone thinks is acceptable for a location.
C.Block

Postby Armand » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:32 pm

Curious,

one should always read the definitions.

SEE IRC Chapter 2 Section R202

Accessible. Signifies access that requires the removal of an access panel or similar removeable obstruction.

Accessible, Readily. Signifies access without the necessity for removing a panel or similar obstruction.

Even R807 would appear to not follow the definitions.

So, If the closet is big enough to have the attic access panel in it, it is probably readily acessible. The code does not specifically rule out a closet.

Is everyone allowing access to the attic from a removable panel in the garage ceiling or the garage/house separation wall when it extends from the foundation to the underside of the roof sheathing?

What about fold down stairway access from the garage?

Is that thin piece of wood acceptable as a comparable separation to that of 1/2 inch gypsum board?
Armand

Return to 10K Forum