Roofing when it is go from a repair to replacement?.

General discussion area relating to building and construction codes. To post a topic for discussion you must register. Everyone is welcome to register. Registration is necessary to fight off spam. Under no circumstance is any part of this forum to be used for advertising or spam purposes. Welcome to our Minnesota community forum!

When does a repair turn into a replacement for roofs?

1. 20 shingles
9%
2. 2 bundles
No votes
3. 1 square
64%
4. Doesn’t matter
27%

Total votes : 11

Roofing when it is go from a repair to replacement?.

Postby JimW » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:04 pm

I have a question I am hoping you all can give me some feed back on.

At what point would you say the roof would have to be removed and replaced.
Jim W
JimW

Re: Roofing when it is go from a repair to replacement?.

Postby John M. » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:26 pm

Way to stir the pot, Jim. I would say that this goes to fees. "Fees established by the municipality must be by legal means and must be fair, reasonable, and proportionate to the actual cost...." The first question is what are they doing? Repairing the roof. Then issue a permit and list the scope as "roof repair" and base the fee on valuation, unless you have a flat roofing fee. What I'm saying is is that it doesn't (or shouldn't) matter if you are repairing or doing a removal and replacement: it is still work that is being done that needs to be permitted and inspected. Where is the line? I would say that valuation drives that, and maybe should start at $500. So you would then have a lot of $499 roof repairs that are exempt? Good question. Some AHJ's might have a threshold of less than 25% of siding or roof replacement, then no need for permit. That's not good policy, IMHO, but I'm not an AHJ. Most repairs, and roofs in general are insurance jobs, so requiring permits and inspections is a good way to document this. But that's just me. I hope others weigh in on this.
John M.
Be grateful for everything
John M.

Postby RDavidson » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:16 am

I think anyone can remove as much or as little as they wish without limitation. Occasionly there are situations where a home loses some shingles to wind. I believe replacing those shingles falls under the "Repairs" section of 1300.0120 and would not require a permit. Unless, they wanted to remove all the shingles on one plane of the roof in which case I would say they need a permit, inspection, etc.
RDavidson

Postby Armand » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:07 pm

The City I work for has an established policy on this that does occaisionally cause difficulty. The BO before me established that work involving less than one square of siding or roofing does not require a permit and is considered a minor repair.
The difficulty it causes is, of course, that some homeowners consider it ok to "pretend" to be replacing only one square at a time and don't understand why that isn't acceptable when over a period of time they have replaced the entire roof or siding.
My opinion is that unscrupulus individuals will attempt to circumvent any rule or regulation if they possible can and officials must deal with that in an appropriate fashion. Home owners with any common sense at all know better than to pull stunts......................
Armand

Return to 10K Forum