Replacement Emergency Escape Windows

General discussion area relating to building and construction codes. To post a topic for discussion you must register. Everyone is welcome to register. Registration is necessary to fight off spam. Under no circumstance is any part of this forum to be used for advertising or spam purposes. Welcome to our Minnesota community forum!

Replacement Emergency Escape Windows

Postby RDavidson » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:21 am

I have a 36X48 double wide Marvin casement window in a bedroom. The window meets emergency escape requirements. The rough opening is 74”. I wish to replace the window with a three wide 24X48 casement but the opening size does not meet egress requirements. The “replacement window is the manufacturer’s largest standard size window that will fit within the existing frame or existing rough opening.” The replacement window is of the “same operating style as the existing window”. A literal read of the code would seem to permit this. Correct?

With the 36X48 window above, one of the sashes is fixed. The sashes are equal size. Can I replace the window with one that has a 24 inch operable sash that doesn’t meet egress and a 48 inch fixed sash? Again it is the largest standard size window that fits the opening and is the same operating style.
RDavidson

Re: Replacement Emergency Escape Windows

Postby RDavidson » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:28 am

Ok Davidson, if you can’t figure this out on your own, let me see if I can clear it up for you. If you read the section literally, it says the “replacement window is the manufacturer’s largest standard size window that will fit within the existing frame or existing rough opening” and is the “same operating style as the existing window”. There are no requirements in the language that say you must replace a double wide window with another double wide window. There are just two criteria. It has to be the biggest window made by the manufacturer of your choosing and it must be of the same operating style. So if I take out a double wide casement and install a four wide casement that is the largest that fits in that opening, I comply with the code. What is so difficult about that? The code doesn’t give a rip about egress. It doesn’t prevent one from going from a double wide to a four wide. And, if I want to take out a double wide casement with two equal sashes (one fixed, one operable) and replace it with one with one large fixed and one small operating sash, that meets the letter of the law. Don’t try to read things into the code that aren’t there.
RDavidson

Postby RDavidson » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:29 am

I have to disagree with the previous poster. She is all wet. The title of this code section is Emergency Escape and Rescue Openings. That is what we are concerned with. So when the language references a replacement window, we are talking about the portion of the window used for that purpose and not the rest of the window. If you have a double wide casement with equal size sashes, the code requires that the new window that would fill the portion occupied by the sash used for egress be the largest size sash that fills that opening. If you want to put in a three wide window, that is fine as long as two of the sashes occupy the space of one of the previous sashes. The intent of this section is emergency escape and rescue. That cannot be ignored and must be considered when interpreting the code. Sometimes you have to think. You just can’t read the words. The previous poster is an idiot.
RDavidson

Postby mkaehler » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:10 pm

Rick, Rick, Rick

I remember once a long time ago I told you need a hobby. Gazing into the sun for prolonged periods of time may have been a poor choice my friend.
You are now arguing with yourself, but the good news is you seem to be winning.

Kaehler
mkaehler

Postby Jeff Pleski » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:17 pm

I respect the opinions of all those who participate on the forum. Although I am entertained by the exchange of views on this subject I choose to stay on the side lines. I like to recognize the good in every situation and in every person. None of us are perfect. We can all find fault with others but it is easier to compliment than to criticize. We are all professionals with the desire to succeed in our profession. Let us continue to express our opinions as professionals while appreciating and respecting the views of others without personal attacks.
Jeff Pleski

Postby mkaehler » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:59 am

Jeff
I too think we need to respect the opinions of others as well as treat each other with some degree of professionalism.
Fortunately I also can recognize some good hearted “needling” and satire when it presents itself, and I know both apply here.

Rick and I are long time freinds, and I am confident he hasn't gazed into the sun for months now :)
mkaehler

Postby RDavidson » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:29 am

Jeff,

I don't take anything seriously on these chats. And Mick is right, we've been friends for many years and I certainly don't take offense at anything said. I've peppered my posts in the past with comments about Mick's golfing ineptness as opposed to his wife many times in the past as well as on other topics. I've also picked on Greg Johnson, Pat Parsley, Keith Wille, Larry Huff, the City of Minneapolis, the City of St Paul, and probably others I can't remember. Hopefully it is all taken in the spirit of fun. Given some of the comebacks from some of the folks it is clear I'm not taken to seriously. The whole purpose is to try spark interest in this area and get people to read the posts and comment, even if it isn't serious.

Now onto something more serious. Pat Parsley is going to raise your taxes. Greg Johnson is going to tax your health care benefits. Larry Huff thinks you are all Un-American. And Keith Wille is going to invite Bin Laden to a White House dinner. And they all spent $150,000 on their dresses, and they do look sharp.

Rick
RDavidson

Postby mkaehler » Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:44 am

Well said my friend
I thought Keith’s garment was a bit short for his body type, but for the most part, they do look very smart. And what’s 150,000 K amongst friends anyway.
I do believe Larry thinks we are all un-American, but I’m pretty sure he doesn’t know what that means.
And as far as my golfing, I told you many times, I am simply “eye candy” at these golfing events.

Mick
mkaehler

Postby RDavidson » Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:26 pm

Ahhh, that's funny. Made my day!!!!!!
RDavidson

Return to 10K Forum