"California Open" Roofing Valley Technique

General discussion area relating to building and construction codes. To post a topic for discussion you must register. Everyone is welcome to register. Registration is necessary to fight off spam. Under no circumstance is any part of this forum to be used for advertising or spam purposes. Welcome to our Minnesota community forum!

"California Open" Roofing Valley Technique

Postby Inspector Bob » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:40 am

It has come to my attention that what GAF/ELK terms "California - Open" style of roofing shingle installation at valleys, that I am seeing more and more of, may not be approved in some cities?

How about it.

Please see the GAF info. at their web site. Once there select #2 from the Documents

http://www.gaf.com/General/GafMain.asp?Silo=RES1&WS=GAF&App=ROOF&Force=../../../../training/default.asp%3fWS=GAF%26Silo=RES1%26App=TRAI%26Uid=

You may wish to view a short video they offer concerning the proper installation of roofing valleys. They touch on the California style there as well. At the How-To page under the Quality Shingles section click on How To Do Valleys.

http://www.gaf.com/General/GafMain.asp?Silo=RES1&WS=GAF&App=ROOF&Force=../../../../training/default.asp%3fWS=GAF%26Silo=RES1%26App=TRAI%26Uid=
Bob Knauff
Inspector Bob

Re: "California Open" Roofing Valley Technique

Postby Bob Rood » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:07 am

This type of valley installation is actually what is referred to in the IRC as a "closed valley". See R905.2.8.2 item 3.

There is an illistration in the Residential Code Commentary
Bob Rood

Postby Bob Rood » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:24 am

I take that back. I have not seen the open California method used here. The typical California valley is closed. If installed per the manufacturer's specs. it should be ok.
Bob Rood

Postby Inspector Bob » Wed Apr 09, 2008 3:28 pm

Yes, there is a "California Closed" version as well but I have not seen one as yet in the wild, just the open type.

It's very common to see regular "Closed Cut" valleys that have one edge line cut off over the top of the woven course but that's not a California style.
Bob Knauff
Inspector Bob

Return to 10K Forum