Blown Fiberglass Insulation Illegal?

General discussion area relating to building and construction codes. To post a topic for discussion you must register. Everyone is welcome to register. Registration is necessary to fight off spam. Under no circumstance is any part of this forum to be used for advertising or spam purposes. Welcome to our Minnesota community forum!

Blown Fiberglass Insulation Illegal?

Postby Inspector Bob » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:35 am

It has just come to my attention that some folks (Building Officials? Contractors?) will not allow blown fiberglass insulation in attics of new construction on the basis that it is not allowed in MN. I have never heard this before and given the amount of it I see almost daily, was very surprised.

I have researched the question as far as I am able but cannot find anything definitive. This link for approval of blown fiberglass insulation on the Dept. of Commerce website appears to authorize its use.

http://www.state.mn.us/portal/mn/jsp/co ... y=Commerce

Click on Download File for a list.

Comments please.

Thanks.
Bob Knauff
Inspector Bob

Postby RDavidson » Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:07 pm

Inspector Bob, how did you receive the information? Did the party tell you what jurisdiction or who it was that wouldn't approve the material? Almost on a daily basis I have people tell me "somebody from the city" told them they could or could not do something or "they" told me I had to do it in a certain way. I can never find out who "they" are or who that "somebody from the city" is.
RDavidson

Postby Inspector Bob » Fri Aug 31, 2007 4:39 pm

RD - Yeah, I know what you mean. She is from Ill. somewhere and has been calling anyone she can find in this state to get to the bottom of the issue. Her contractor (she told me the name but I don't remember. Small company) is building them a new home in the Shakopee area. She does not want to use blown cellulose and wants blown fiberglass. The builder is willing to do that but she said that a "Shakopee city building official" would not approve the use of that insulation.

She also steered me to the Design Colaition Website at:

http://www.designcoalition.org/orders/e ... lation.htm

In the first paragraph at the top of their page, it refers to an " Energy Digest Update" and goes on to say "Note that Minnesota prohibits the use of blown-in fiberglass."

This Design Coalition is in WI, I see. I have no idea why they would make such a blatant statement like that but it got HER excited! In the mean time I have talked to everyone I know including design professionals for builders and they have never heard of such a thing.

So we have the Design Coalition stating blown in fiberglass is illegal here and an unknown Shakopee building official (she never would tell me his name no matter how much I prodded) also refusing the use of the stuff.

Those are the facts I have so far.
Bob Knauff
Inspector Bob

Return to 10K Forum