Seperate Gas Service For homes w/ lot lines

General discussion area relating to building and construction codes. To post a topic for discussion you must register. Everyone is welcome to register. Registration is necessary to fight off spam. Under no circumstance is any part of this forum to be used for advertising or spam purposes. Welcome to our Minnesota community forum!

Seperate Gas Service For homes w/ lot lines

Postby KEVIN B » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:47 am

Townhomes with lot lines - would seperate service be reuired for gas lines like all other services? could you stack the meters on top of one another using one main for all? any sections in the state code pertaining to this. thanks [/b]

Postby johne » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:09 am

We would look for the meter set on the property it is serving and the line set be within the property lines it is serving.

Postby kevin b » Fri Apr 14, 2006 11:38 am

the two meters would be stacked one on top of the other right on the property line. the main line would servive both meters, and each unit would then have there own service from then.
kevin b

Utility services...

Postby TomRiddering » Fri Apr 21, 2006 4:25 pm

The State has an interpretation on this:
A project submitted, as IRC townhouses with three or more units would be required to be built to all provisions of the IRC. The basic provisions would include one, two-hour wall or two-one-hour walls between each townhouse, separate plumbing, mechanical and electrical services, have two sides open with property lines between units or without property lines between units. ... ctors.html

If the townhomes are designed to the IRC, they are treated like single family dwellings and must have separate utility services - sewer, water, electrical and gas. We allow gas meters to either be provided at each townhome or clustered on commonly owned property and supplied to each unit via commonly owned property. An IRC townhome's gas, sewer, water, and electrical services may not be routed through their neighbors' home.

If they are designed as an R-3 under the IBC, there must be individual utility services to each single family unit or duplex.

The only way 3 or more adjacent "townhomes" can be supplied with a single service, with each unit's utilities fed through adjacent units, is if they are actually a single R-2 apartment building built under the IBC. The individual units may be sold as condominiums, but it is still a single building with a single owner, the condo association.
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:10 pm

Return to 10K Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests