Structural Insulated Panels

Voting section related to Minnesota building codes.

If S.I.P.’s (Structural Insulated Panels) have been designed by a professional, can anybody install them?

Poll ended at Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:33 pm

Yes
86%
NO
14%

Total votes : 21

Structural Insulated Panels

Postby forumadmin » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:45 am

If S.I.P.’s (Structural Insulated Panels) have been designed by a professional, can anybody install them?
forumadmin
Site Admin

Postby Ernie » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:58 am

There are quite a few ER reports for S.I.P.'s....ER 1006 states:

"installed in accordance with the manufacturer’s published installation instructions and this evaluation report. The manufacturer's published installation instructions and this report shall be strictly adhered to, and a copy of the instructions shall be available at all times on the jobsite during installation. The installation instructions within this report govern if there are any conflicts between the manufacturer's instructions and this report."

Nothing is said about the qualifications of the installer. If not installed by the manufacture's crew, can we ask the manufacturer to approve the installation? It looks like there are a lot of details that could be missed and not noticable at the time of our inspection.
Ernie
Ernie

S.I.P. installation

Postby Roger Axel » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:54 am

Yes. The obvious statement is that, hopefully, the installer has had some training in the installation of the specific panel products.The ICC -ES website identifies several approved SIP's products that are listed on the CSI List under Division 06 WOOD & PLASTICS, Section 06120 Structural Panels. The typical ES Report identifies numerous installation requirements (4.0 DESIGN & INSTALLATION) that must be completed by the installer. Section 5.0 CONDITIONS OF USE identifies additional installation/inspection requirements. Typical ES language states that the ES Report governs if there are conflicts between the manufacturer's installation instructions and the ES Report. Bottom line...plan on spending a fair amount of time inspecting the installation of the SIP's. I have a LEED house under construction right now and the manufacturer's booklet has 90+ pages of installation details.
Some light reading.....
Roger Axel, C.B.O.
Building Official
City of New Hope, MN
763-531-5122
Roger Axel

SIP panel installation.

Postby Duane C. Grace » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:00 pm

These panels are an alternate to the code. Therefore it must have the form completed and the building official approval for installation first, than the installation shall conform to the acceptable research report used to confirm the acceptable alternate material and installation. Yes, it may take some extra inspection time by the building official to determine that it does comply with that report and the manufactures instructions that are required to be adhered with during the installaiton process.
Duane C. Grace -- Building Official & Building & Fire Codes Consultants - Plan review. Mn. Office 122 Knollwood Dr. - Moose Lake, MN. 55767 -- May through October.
Texas office -- 414 Belinda Drive - Alamo, TX. 78516 November through April only
Duane C. Grace

Return to 2007 December Questions (2) and (2) Holiday Questions